From My Bookshelf: Persuasion

In case you didn’t know, I am pro-buying multiple editions of books. Even those I haven’t read yet. My Jane Austen collection is particularly – ahem – stacked, and among the titles I haven’t read, Persuasion stands three spines across. Okay, so they actually stand in alphabetical then publication order, but that doesn’t sound as snappy.

Anyway, I have three paperback editions of Persuasion, which I’m sharing for this installment of From My Bookshelf.Persuasion | Jane Austen | Penguin ClassicsPersuasion | Jane Austen | Barnes & Noble Classics

Persuasion | Jane Austen | Signet ClassicsThe first is my Penguin Classics edition, which is pretty standard and doesn’t really need an explanation.

The second is my Barnes & Noble Classics edition – the small version. I love these editions (I have a couple other books in this edition) because they are great for marking up/annotating, they easily fit in a bag, and they’re pretty sturdy.

The third is a Signet Classics edition, which is my favorite of the three. This used little book is just so charming, and I have a copy of this edition of Northanger Abbey, so that makes this version even more special to me and my shelves.

2019 will be the year that I finish reading my unread Jane Austen books – this is my official announcement. I’ll check back in later in the year to see if I actually stick to this plan. 😏 Have you read Persuasion? Does the same book take up a lot of space on your books, because you can’t help yourself when you see a new edition? Do you have a list of editions you wish you could purchase right now? Share your joys and wants in the comments.

14 thoughts on “From My Bookshelf: Persuasion

1. Hannie says:

Persuasion is my first and only Jane Austen so far. I’ve read it twice. The first time, I hated it and dragged myself kicking and screaming through it. The second time, however, I fell in love with Austen’s wit and characters! I think it’s especially interesting that the main romantic interest didn’t just fall into money and worked his way up, which is a rarity of the Victorian era. I should probably read more of Austen’s books, but I’m afraid that they won’t compare to this one!

• Kelsey says:

Oh interesting. Good for you for giving it another try; I’m glad it paid off! 😊 Of course I can’t compare Persuasion to other Austen novels I have read, but if you love her wit and characters, I don’t believe you would be disappointed (but I do understand the hesitation).

2. rebekahrochester says:

Wow, I love your signet classics edition! It’s so charming and the artwork is quite unique with just her skin being coloured in.
    I bought a second edition of Emma because I found a beautiful cloth-bound 1962 Folio Society edition with woodcut-engraved illustrations!
    Hope you enjoy Persuasion 🙂

• Kelsey says:

I think so too!
      And wow – Folio Society editions are always so beautiful, and yours sounds especially so! Cheers to beautifully crafted books. 😊

• Kelsey says:

Thank you! I’d like to say that I don’t actively seek out more editions of books I already have, but that would be a lie. 😆 Thank you for your comment!

3. raiswatirai says:

Oh my god! These are some beautiful, collector’s editions- yes I have read mots of Austen’s work and the beauty of the age and the language is so well condensed in her writing. Magnificent!

4. Darlene says:

I love all her books and have read them all more than once. Persuasion is excellent and I have a vintage leather bound copy of it. I have a number of copies of each of JA’s books. You must read all of them, especially Emma. So very good.

Reply With Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s